I’m starting separate thread to have a closer look at general industrial investment in Vizag and discuss its progress. (Rest of the happenings can stay in vizag happenings thread). Lot of progress is promised and hopefully this thread monitors the progress.
To start with, here are major investments that are in different phases of implementation. Please add any projects that I missed and correct any inaccuracies (I collected this from dozens of articles)
1. The expansion of Vizag steel plant – Rs 7000 crores, to be completed by 2009: Project already started.
2. Expansion of HPCL refinery – Rs 9000 crores to be completed by 2010: They acquired the land but project has not started. The original partner (escapes my memory) has backed out and they are actively looking for partners to share some of the financial burden.
hpcl refinery expansion
3. NTPC simhadri expansion: Rs 4000 crore. Work already started . Project target date unknown.
Capacity of NTPC's Simhadri plant to be doubled
4. Indian Navy expansion : Investment value - unknown
The naval base is being expanded to relieve already crowded current base. Navy is acquiring 5000 acres of land and the first indigenously built air craft carrier will be commissioned at this new base.
second naval base at Vizag
5. Bhabha Atomic Research Centre: Rs 1000 crore target date: unknown
6.Zindal Aluminum plant: Still the cloud of controversy hangs over it. However, jindal is not involved in the actual mining. So whether Jindal will go ahead with the project or will wait until the controversy subsides is yet to be known.
7. Petro chemical complex:
RIL, Birlas head for Vizag SEZ
8. Gangavarm port: Rs 5000 crore
9. Vizag International airport: Rs 350 crore
The new runway will be completed by Feb 2007. The new terminal will only be ready end of 2008. A completely new airport at sabbavaram is still under planning stages.
10. Brandix India – apparel city : $ 40 million. First production: March 2007
Brandix India apparel city –vizag